My Infoline Forum
 flag  India flag
sub icon

Good chance of getting immigration reform this year, says Barack Obama

Obama acknowledged that there are going to be some issues where it's going to be tough to move forward.
President Barack Obama on Sunday said there is a good chance of pushing through contentious US immigration reform this year.

The reform, currently being debated in Congress, would pave the way for citizenship to 11 million undocumented people and accelerate the process of professionals from countries like India and China.

"I actually think that we have a good chance of getting immigration reform," Obama told a tv channel. Obama argued that this would not only create jobs, but also give a boost to the US economy.

"If the Speaker (of the US House of Representatives) proposes something that says right away folks aren't being deported, families aren't being separated, we're able to attract top young students to provide the skills or start businesses here, and, then there's a regular process of citizenship," Obama said when asked about the recent move by the Republican Party on immigration reform.

He said that there is a desire to get it done. "There is a desire to get it done. And that particularly in this Congress is a huge piece of business, because they haven't got a lot done over the last couple of years out of the House Republican caucus. They've been willing to say what they're against, not so much what they're for. The fact that they're for something, I think, is progress," he said.

"I do know that for a lot of families, the fear of deportation is one of the biggest concerns that they've got and that's why we took executive actions given my prosecutorial discretion to make sure we're not deporting kids who grew up here and are Americans for all practical purposes, but we need to get that codified," he said.

"And the question is, is there more that we can do in this legislation that gets both Democratic and Republican support but solves these broader problems, including strengthening borders and making sure that we have a legal immigration system that works better than it currently does," Obama said.

"My big push is making sure we're focused on opportunity, making sure that every single day, all of us in Washington are trying to think about ways that we can help folks get good jobs, make sure that they're train for the good jobs that are out there, make sure that those jobs pay, make sure our kids are getting a great education," he said.

"Those are the issues that the American people still very much are concerned about. And, obviously, there's going to be more that we can do if Congress is able to breakthrough some of the gridlock. And if we're able to, for example, pass immigration reform, that is going to add growth to our economy, reduce our deficits," said the president.

Obama acknowledged that there are going to be some issues where it's going to be tough to move forward.

"I am going to continue to reach out to them and say, here are my best ideas. I want to hear yours. But as I said at the state of the union, I can't wait and the American people more importantly cannot wait. We know that one of the biggest problems right now in the jobs market is the long-term unemployed," he said.

US immigration system 'completely backwards', says Bobby Jindal

Describing the current US immigration system as "completely backwards", Indian-American Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal on Sunday said the country needs a system of "high walls and a broad gate".

"When it comes to immigration, we've got a completely backwards system today. What I believe we need is a system of high walls and a broad gate. Right now, we've got the opposite. We've got low walls and a narrow gate," Jindal said to a TV channel.

"What I mean by that is we make it very difficult for people to come here legally. We make it very easy for people to come here illegally. As the son of immigrants, I think that, certainly, a lot of people think we should let more people come in to our country because it's compassionate for them, and it certainly is," said the 42-year-old Republican leader whose parents were immigrants from Punjab.

"I think we should also let more people come into our country legally because it's good for us. When people want to come here, work hard, get an education, play by the rules, that's good for America. And so, I think that this is a problem we can address. I think our system right now is completely backwards," he said.

Jindal argued that Republicans need to act.

"I do think its right to say we need to secure the border first. I think if the president had been serious about this the last five years; we'd be further along in this discussion. I think the American people are compassionate," he said.

"I don't think we're the kind of people that are going to kick people out of schools or hospitals or punish kids for what their parents have done. But I think it's also right the American people are sceptical," he said.

"There's broad agreement on letting people work here and contribute to our economy if they learn the language, they pay a fine, they go pass a criminal background check. I think there's broad consensus," he said.

"We have got to reform the ways that people come here legally. We need to increase dramatically the opportunities for people to come into our country legally. Again, it's good for them, but it's also good for our country," Jindal said.

Source: India Today

No Replies
Leave a Reply Here
Enter Your Name
Enter your Email
Enter your Contact No
Enter Your Message
Enter the code

@Copyright 2013 My Infoline -Whole World At Your Fingertips
(This site in under beta version, please feel free to send your suggestion to improve this portal , and also write a email to us if you find any bugs.)